Ernest Gimson (1864-1919)
Pair of fire dogs, circa 1904-10, made by Alfred Bucknell at Sapperton
polished steel, 70.5cm high, 70cm deep.
Provenance: Arthur Mitchell; thence by descent.
Information: As a student in 1888 Gimson drew a pair of 17th-century firedogs at Haddon Hall, Derbyshire and subsequently designed his own interpretation in 1904 or 1905. Two pairs were made in his smithy in brass by Bucknell: one for Earl Bathurst at Pinbury Park, Gloucestershire and one for the Gimson family (now at the New Walk Museum, Leicester). A third pair was made at the same time in wrought iron for Sir Lionel Phillips of Tylney Hall, Hampshire.