Maori hei-tiki pendant
New Zealand, made of green nephrite, depicted with the head tilted to the right, with an old paper label verso purportedly stating that this originally belonged to Makoare Te Taonui who signed the Treaty of Waitangi on 12 February 1840, 7cm
Note: Makoare Te Taonui was the son of Hautai and the grandson of Te Aokaitū. In 1831 Te Taonui was one of 13 rangatira to sign a letter addressed to King William IV, the letters main aim was to seek the king's protection against the French. Te Taonui died in September 1862 and is buried at the Williams Memorial Church in Paihia.
Provenance: Inherited by the vendor's late uncle who owned an antique shop in Gloucester in the 1950s & 1960s. It was purchased on 19/1/1959 from G.Frith, Gloucester for £10/-/-. Receipt photographed
Natural inclusions are visible in the body. Small surface loss/inclusion visible to the right leg. Can't assess the other side due to the label. 7cm high, 3.2cm at the widest point, roughly 1cm thick but hard to judge.
The tiki was purchased by the vendor's late Uncle, who had an antique shop in College Court, by the Cathedral in Gloucester in the 1950s and 1960s. There is a label on the box which is dated 19/1/1959 which is probably when it was purchased.
Further images have been uploaded to thesaleroom.com